Our ChefmeetsBCGrape wine + food tasting is happening this Wednesday evening in downtown Vancouver! It’s a full evening dedicated to local fine wines and amazing cuisine by some of the most innovative chefs working in Vancouver and the Okanagan. The series was inspired by the local food movement to bring together winemakers and chefs who share a common goal to showcase the fantastic produce available in our own backyard.
ChefmeetsBCGrape Signature Tasting
Wednesday, September 17, 7 – 9 PM
Vancouver Convention Centre East
Tickets: $85 | Limited tickets are still available.
The extensive tasting event (just imagine, 350 wines to choose from!) is also a chance to be first-in-line to sample new red releases. During the evening, guests can try 14 tasting plates along with paired wines representing a diverse mix of bubbly, red, and white wines. The chefs will compete for the Best Overall Dish and Best Paired Plate awards. And judging by the menus, they’re pulling out all the stops to win first place ribbons!
Here are the wine pairings and dishes to whet your appetite:
FORAGE: to pair with with Haywire Winery The Bub 2012
- Pacific provider salmon cured in a gravlax style with wild conifers. Thinly shaved apples, lightly dressed and topped with finely ground popcorn and grapeseed oil.
HART HOUSE RESTAURANT: to pair with Painted Rock Estate Winery Syrah 2011
- Braised venison and black ravioli with a plum purée and chanterelle mushrooms.
LA PENTOLA DELLA QUERCIA: to pair with JoieFarm Gamay 2012
- Pheasant terrine with housemade pancetta, chicken liver and red currant sauce.
LIQUIDITY BISTRO: to pair with Cellar Hand White 2013
- Skeena River pink salmon beetroot mousse, pickled Penticton cultivated mushrooms, Liquidity estate garden verde and crunch textures.
MIKU RESTAURANT: to pair with CedarCreek Estate Winery Pinot Gris 2013
- Pressed sushi with layers of sushi rice and mild sockeye salmon. Brushed with sweet soy topped with house made miku sauce, flamed seared finished with jalapeno and fresh cracked pepper.
OLD VINES RESTAURANT AT QUAILS’ GATE ESTATE WINERY: to pair with Quails’ Gate Estate Winery Chardonnay 2013
- Hot smoked BC sockeye salmon, Okanagan peaches and sweet corn, chanterelle mushrooms.
Chef Roger Sleiman will be creating this dish on Global TV’s Noon News Hour - check it out on Wednesday at 12:30 PM.
ORU RESTAURANT: to pair with Laughing Stock Vineyards Blind Trust White 2013
- Roccolo Divino cheese, potato and chicken liver croquette, served with a chutney of preserved green grapes and Asian pear.
P2B BISTRO & BAR: to pair with Church & State Wines Sauvignon Blanc 2013
- Marinated prawns in ancho chili oil, seared and served on a corn cheese tortilla wafer, with mango salsa, micro cilantro and cilantro oil.
SAVOURY CHEF FOODS: to pair with Osoyoos Larose Estate Winery Le Grand Vin 2009
- Braised beef short ribs with creamy celeriac purée and Osoyoos Larose Le Grand Vin and star anise BC plums.
TABLEAU BAR BISTRO: to pair with Tantalus Vineyards Riesling 2013
Riesling braised chicken drumette served over roasted organic local golden beets and pickled mustard seeds and micro red cabbage.
THE FRENCH TABLE BISTRO: to pair with Stag’s Hollow Winery Grenache 2012
Mix of traditional gougère (cheese chou puff), always served at wine tastings in Burgundy, with a traditional burger.
THE SONORA ROOM AT BURROWING OWL ESTATE WINERY: to pair with Burrowing Owl Estate Winery Merlot 2013
Housemade preserved apricot BBQ sauce, braised pork ribs, toasted hazelnut, shaved foie gras, apple slaw.
THE TERRACE AT MISSION HILL FAMILY ESTATE WINERY: to pair with Mission Hill Family Estate Winery Pinot Noir 2012
A taste of Okanagan summer - ripe lapin cherries with a hint of star anise and fennel.
The series continues with the Uncorked Kitchen Party on September 18 and the Mission Hill Family Estate Dinner on September 23. MORE INFO
Photos by Sarah England. The ChefmeetsBCGrape series is presented in partnership with Wines of British Columbia. This is an Arts Club fundraising initiative.